Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Cacao & Maca Porridge

Overtime people have been asking me a lot about "super-foods". Honestly, I think the term is a bit of a marketing ploy. For example, Kale. It's super gross and I can find lots of the same nutrients in a combination of other foods. So you won't find me eating it just because it's marketed as being a super-food. Although, I do feel that there are a few super-food powders which are incredible, and you should definitely try to get your hands on. I'll fill you guys in on some that I'd recommend and use on a daily basis, because they taste great, and provide me with a total nutritional boost. 

Chia seeds: These tiny little seeds are full of omega-3 fatty acids, as well, they are amazing sources of fibre, and are totally beneficial for bone health. Gram per gram, chia seeds contain more calcium than most dairy foods! I toss these on smoothie bowls and salads any chance I get. They're also great because they don't alter the taste of any meal they're added to. If you wish to purchase a food which will act as a nutritional-boost to your meals, I'd go for chia seeds hands down!

Maca Powder: This super-food is referred to "Peruvian Ginseng" by the people of Peru, as they used it to give them an energy burst and increase stamina before battle! It is a caffeine-free energiser and as well helps regulate hormone balance. I'd stir this into porridge or whisk up with a peanut butter/banana smoothie. It's flavour is definitely distinctive, so I'd advise beginning with 1/2 of a teaspoon, working your way up, to adapt your taste buds to the taste. (Maca does taste good. Although, I just find it's flavour can be slightly over-powering! So just be a little bit cautious and don't be tipping tablespoons in to begin with!)

Cacao Powder: I absolutely love chocolate and could happily have it at every meal. When I heard cacao allowed me to satisfy my chocolately cravings all day long and fuel my body with goodness, I couldn't be happier! It's the raw form of chocolate and so isn't pumped with refined sugar. Yet still when I'm wanting something sweet, this does the trick, as well as being nutritionally packed! Cacao powder has many health benefits including anti-oxidants, calcium, iron and zinc. I use it to make my deliciously nourishing Raw Caramel Sqaures


Cacao and Maca Porridge

Serves 1

200ml of Almond Milk
50g of Porridge Oats
1 teaspoon of Maple syrup
1 tablespoon of Cacao powder
1 teaspoon of Maca powder
1/2 Banana
  1. Add oats and milk to a saucepan. 
  2. Chop and add in banana. 
  3. Allow to simmer on medium heat until bubbling; approximately 3-5 minutes.
  4. Remove porridge from heat. Stir in maple syrup, cacao and maca powder.
  5. Top with some sliced fresh strawberries and chia seeds - if you'd like to make your porridge even more "super".

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this.very interesting information.i would like to do all the information
    restaurant in satya niketan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this.very interesting information.i would like to do all the information
    restaurant in satya niketan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian Foods are very spicy and very tasty. Thanks for sharing...!
    restaurant in satya niketan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this yummy recipies, Thanks for sharing...!
    order online food

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indian Foods are very spicy and very tasty. Thanks for sharing...!
    Food Menu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog!! Looks delicious, feel like grabbing the roll right away. Thank you Chowringhee Satya Niketan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mona! It really is very yummy. Definitely reccommend it as a perfect start to any day!

      Delete