Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Buckwheat Pancakes

If your day starts off with pancakes, you know it's going to be a good one! I love lazy weekend or day off mornings, which consist of lounging in pyjamas (for a ridiculously lengthy period of time) and eating a stack of fluffy pancakes. Ahhh bliss. 

However, I sometimes find once the pancakes have been smothered in maple syrup, I tend to feel the groggy effects a couple of hours later. Not good. This is the result of a nasty sugar level crash which comes when eating pancakes made with white-flour and lots of refined sugar. However, I love pancakes. How could I not eat them!? So I wanted to find a recipe which didn't make me feel like this, and yet still tasted flipping amazing. I wouldn't want any of you lovelies feeling like this either so... here is the perfect solution to this pancake epidemic... Buckwheat flour. 

Say what?

When the buckwheat seed is milled, it produces a wonderfully nutty flavoured flour, which is both gluten-free (for any of you coeliac's out there) and whole-grain. It helps keep your blood sugar levels at a consistent level, and prevents extreme energy spikes/crashes throughout the day. Also, buckwheat is packed with lots of added nutritious goodness; several B vitamins which are needed for energy metabolism and minerals such as iron and magnesium. Yay, I think that's the problem solved!
        
Makes 8 pancakes; Serves 2 

3 tablespoons Maple syrup
2 Eggs
1 tablespoon Melted Butter; more for greasing the pan
1/2 mug Milk (use whatever milk you have; cow's milk, almond etc)
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3/4 mug Buckwheat flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
  1. Melt butter and mix ingredients together in a bowl. 
  2. Heat the frying pan to medium heat, and grease with a little butter.
  3. Once the pan has heated up, add dollops of the mixture. Once air bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancake, flip over using a spatula, and allow for the other side to become golden-brown also.
  4. Once both sides have been cooked, remove the pancake and place on a cooling rack. (However they are very good, so you may be tempted to just eat them straight away.)


4 comments:

  1. How many cups in a mug, or how many mugs in a cup? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so sorry for the confusion, it's not the most accurate measurement method, however I like to cook this way for the pure ease of it. An av. mug can hold 350ml and av. cup can hold 270 ml. Hope that helps!x

      Delete
  2. Please can you tell me the quantity of milk in "ml" and flour in grams. I'm Brazilian,For me it's so hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please can you tell me the quantity of milk in "ml" and flour in grams. I'm Brazilian,For me it's so hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete